Kerb Law Group


Change B2 visa to F1 visa

B-1/B-2 visas are tourist visas that allow you to stay in the US for up to six months. F-1/M-1 student visas, on the other hand, allow you to legally study in the US and obtain work authorization for a certain period of time after completing your studies.

If you hold a B-1/B-2 visa and want to study at a US school, you need to apply for a change of status to F-1/M-1 student status. To do this, you must meet certain conditions, such as having a valid visa, no negative record for violating your current visa status, and sufficient financial support to pay for tuition and living expenses.

You also need to submit an I-539 to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change your B-1/B-2 status to F-1 or M-1 status. Please note that you must maintain the validity of your B-1/B-2 visa throughout the entire change of status application process. If your B-1/B-2 visa expires before the application is approved, the application will be denied.

In order to keep validity of your B-1/B-2 visa, you must apply for an extension of your B-1/B-2 visa at the same time as you apply for a change of status. Keep in mind that the applications for a B-1/B-2 visa extension and a change of status are two separate applications that require separate forms and application fees.

If your application is approved, you will receive a letter from the USCIS, and within 30 days of the date on the letter, you must report to the school. The process of changing your status can be complicated, please consult with a lawyer to ensure that you maintain legal status during this period.